Alterations Needed Forum - Petite Fashion, Style, and Fit

Smartfeed Smartfeed    It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: what to wear when...it's 90 degrees outside!
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:37 pm 

I thought it might be fun to have a series of posts where people can give each other ideas on what to wear in certain situations or what to pair with specific items. (pictures are especially useful!)

I've found myself wanting to wear a particular item of clothing, but lacking inspiration on how to style it. One needing an idea of something to wear for a certain occasion. Usually, I read fashion blogs and hope to find something I'm looking for, but I think this might be helpful!

And for people (like me) who may not want to post pictures of themselves you can just find pictures from the internet (or use polyvore) to come up with a look (or 5 ;))!

So my first question is:

What to wear when it gets hot (especially to work)?! I've noticed that a lot of petite styling tends to revolve around sweaters and blazers, but what about when it's really hot outside?

http://fabulouslypetiteinthecity.blogspot.com/
a blog i just started. won't make any promises about updating it regularly. :)

Post subject: Re: what to wear when...it's 90 degrees outside!
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:19 pm 

I have the same problem! I wear jeans and sweaters almost daily, so when it's this hot, I feel like I'm losing my mind trying to come up with ideas. I think tomorrow I am going to wear a dress and wedges with a 3/4 sleeve sweater. I also toyed with the idea of wearing a dress with a shirt over it like a blouse... but I might be too chicken to try that one :)

Height: 5'3"
Weight: 110-115
Measurements: 34" x 25" x 36" and size 5.5-6 shoe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:12 am 

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=32207799
For the summer time, I usually like to wear a dress, skirt, sheer blouse, or light material blouse. Since my office is usually freeze I would have bring a cardigan with me or a blazer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:13 am 

Where I work, I can wear shorts luckily! So I've been wearing solid-color t-shirts with nice shorts and good quality handmade flip-flops. I just posted an example in "Post Your Outfits", here it is. When it's chilly I put a cute little cardigan over.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:30 pm 

This is a great question, b/c I often wonder the same thing! People always look so cool and collected in their summer outfits, even when it's at least 80 degrees across the entire country.

For work, I literally am outside for 1 minute, i.e. walking to the car, then walking to the office. So that's how I am able to continuously wear blazers during the summer (I don't wear the sweaters as much). But I just try to make sure I wear something sleeveless or cute underneath (whereas in the winter, I wear long-sleeve shirts or other things). That way if I'm going out somewhere later, or stepping out for lunch, I can at least take my blazer or cardigan off and stay somewhat cool.

On casual days, I try to pair shorts with some type of unique top. Like, white shorts are really casual on its own with a tank top, but I will put a nude silk blouse on top, roll up the sleeves, and add some gold jewelry or brown/beige wedges. I think it comes down to playing with color and breathable materials, b/c I can't layer as much during the summer.

And of course, dresses and cute skirts whenever I can! As long as they are breathable and not stifling. That's my biggest complain about summer - I can't really wear skinny jeans b/c they are just too stifling in the heat!

Hope this helps!

5' 2", ~110 lb
Sizes range from 00 to 0 to XXS to XS, 25 for jeans, size 5, 5.5, 6 depending on shoe brand and style

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:29 pm 

I like skirts and dresses during the summer and bringing along a cardigan for heavy indoor air-conditioner use. I'm also on the hunt for linen pants because I read somewhere that that fabric stays cool in warm weather, but can keep you warm in air-conditioning. However, I have a hard time finding a pair that fit well (H&M had some great linen trousers, but I needed a 4 and could never find that size in the two Boston stores) and don't wrinkle easily.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:20 pm 

Charlotte Rousse (I know I know!) had a pair of linen pants a couple of months ago. I'm kicking myself for not buying them. They were really cute!

I did manage to find a cute pair of shorts a couple of weeks ago. I haven't purchased shorts in years!

These days, I'm mostly wearing maxi dresses to beat the heat. I pair mine with short sleeved sweaters to make them more "work appropriate" without burning up!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:36 pm 

When it's really that hot, a little clothing won't make a whole lot of difference. I learned this when doing manual labour in the hot sun and quickly learned to cover up to avoid being burned.

Just make sure to choose light, breathable fabrics in light to medium colours.

For a less casual environment I usually choose skirts and dresses, heels or wedges, and if I wear a tank top, a short-sleeved blazer, 3/4 sleeve cardigan, or bolero to go over top.

I wish more capris would come in the proper lengths, because they can be very versatile. If you can find a pair of dressy capris, these could also be work-friendly with a short-sleeve blouse, belt, and wedges.

I don't like my legs, so I never wear shorts. The one pair I own are the ones called "city shorts," fitted and to-the-knee.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:01 pm 

Hi leatherandlace!

The last "Petite Fashion Challenge" focused on exactly the problem you mention. There are over thirty entries to take a look at:

http://www.fastfoodandfastfashion.com/2 ... ve_30.html

5'3 / ~100 / 31-25-31

http://thepetitefittingroom.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:00 pm 

Thanks! I've been in the process of moving, but I've been meaning to check out everyone's submissions. I've seen a few so far, and have been totally impressed :D.

I plan to catch up with the rest next week :D

Thanks so much for thinking of me.