Alterations Needed Forum - Petite Fashion, Style, and Fit

Smartfeed Smartfeed    It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: To Burberry or not to Burberry?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:02 pm 

After seeing many petite ladies don a Burberry trench, I'm thinking of caving and getting one too. (Of course, I don't really need one but I'm getting a raise and well, these coats are investment pieces, right? A good reward that will last?)

Anyway, I have some questions before I really do give in.

1. What's the average cost of a Burberry trench? What is something reasonable that you'd be willing to pay? I'm considering something from the London line but I think I'm getting sticker shock... but then again, I know it's a quality item. I know some of you have a couple of Burberry trenches too (jealous!)... how much were they when you purchased?

2. Black or tan color? I am still undecided. Sigh... #firstworldproblems

Your comments or advice for purchasing a Burberry trench is much appreciated. :)

shoes: 5 (I also fit kids 2.5/3)

Post subject: Re: To Burberry or not to Burberry?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:00 pm 
Site Admin

I would suggest the Harbourne style in tan as your first Burberry if you were to take the plunge. It's known to run pretty small (although you'll probably still need it slimmed in the torso/sleeves hemmed/belt loops raised). Be sure to buy it at a boutique, and ask about alterations. Hopefully they'll happily alter for free!

The Harbourne was about $1000 when I got it, although prices may have gone up since then. It's a simple, classic style and one of the cheaper trenches for the London line. There are a few styles that have a size 0 floating around, but a few ladies have mentioned they felt the Harbourne in size 2 fit smaller.

Even if you don't do the Harbourne, definitely get the tan color. It's really classic and versatile. I love my tan trench and wear it more often than my red one.

Good luck, and have fun doing your Burberry research!

Stats: 4'11" :: 30-23-32 :: size pxxs/p00 :: shoe size US 4.5-5

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:16 am 

I'm pondering the same thing but i'm pretty sure i want the tan color.

Can i add to your post and ask if they wrinkle easily? I ordered a khaki trench from banana republic and i was surprised how easily it wrinkles.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:08 pm 

Thanks for your advice, Kelly! I live in Canada so all of the prices are around $1,200-1,400 for any style of trench (which is to be expected with the import/export fees). At least I now know that those prices aren't (too) insane. I'll try to keep my eye out for the Harbourne style -- I don't see it on the Burberry website so hopefully they'll have it in stores to try on for size.

And good point, tripps! Are they easily wrinkled? I get the impression from seeing Jean's photos of her Harbourne that they're really well constructed and keep their shape. Any confirmation on this?

shoes: 5 (I also fit kids 2.5/3)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

xxsbutmighty - I bought my second trench for $1,200, which gave me a small heart attack, so I know the sticker shock you're going through. ;) For some reason, they don't have all the style names on the website, which I think is really dumb, but if you go in store, they definitely know the style names and will be able to help you.

As for wrinkles, I think it depends on the material, but the ones I have (the thick water resistant material) de-wrinkles itself really easily. I've packed mine in suitcases and even wrapped my camera in them and stuffed in my carry-on, and once I take them out and hang them, the wrinkles fall right out. I've never had a problem looking wrinkly in my trenches.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:12 pm 

thank you so much!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:05 pm 

There is a style that runs really small. The name starts with "N", but for the life of me I can't remember the rest. I would think a knowledgeable SA would know. It comes in two colors, honey and black and starts at a size 0. I'm bigger than most petites but I found sz 0 to be really tight and fitted.

Good luck with your search!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:12 am 

It's Newforest! I know because I just bought one. In size 0!! I'm thrilled with the tiny fit through the shoulders and chest. It's super long though, like well below my knees. I'm getting it shortened, and luckily it doesn't look odd with that much lopped off the bottom.

I also tried the Marystow in 0 and it is huge. The shoulders are wider and the armscye deeper.

If you enter the style name in the search box on the website, the coats will pop up, they're just not labelled. Agree that it is not very user friendly that way.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:32 am 
Site Admin

Khatu just mentioned another style on Twitter:

"The Westland is also petite friendly. I had no altr. done except for the sleeves. IMO it fits better than the Harbourne. Only thing is it has a sheen and a little too dressy for everyday use."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:03 pm 

The Wearhead runs quite small. I tried on several trenches and coats in the store, and this was the smallest fitting style they had at the store that day, and the one that I ended up buying. The beige looked awful with my pale skin and blonde hair; so I opted for black. The Wearhead is a little longer, it is very high waisted and it has a removable hood. They have raised the price since last season and it is now $1595.