Alterations Needed Forum - Petite Fashion, Style, and Fit

Smartfeed Smartfeed    It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Talbots petites
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:30 pm 

I know, I know...Talbots is usually a mom store. Due to their recent overhaul, they have had some really cute pieces lately. I didn't think ANYTHING in the store would fit me due to their usually generous sizing, but I popped in the store and found a couple cute things that surprisingly fit me pretty well! You can refer to my measurements and see if these pieces might fit you too.

Animal print cardi- i LOVE this. it's pretty pricey right now so I am going to hold off until I can find a good coupon code. I tried the size PP and it ran about the same size as a J Crew Jackie XS cardigan. I love the colors of this cardigan.
http://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi25372&rootCategory=cat70010&catId=cat80002&sortKey=Default&section=Regular&conceptIdUnderSale=cat70010

I also tried this herringbone jacket in a 0p and was shocked that it fit pretty well. Maybe a tad roomy through the body, but overall a really cute and well fitting item.

http://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi25177&rootCategory=cat70010&catId=cat80008&sortKey=Default&section=Regular&conceptIdUnderSale=cat70010

I will definitely be checking back in-store in the future. Everything appears to be well made. However, some pieces do look to run a little bigger than these items that I tried on, so I'd be careful and try on in store.

Inseam: 31"

tinyintexas.blogspot.com

Post subject: Re: Talbots petites
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:38 pm 

just ordered the leopard cardi- use code 030423209 for free shipping and 20% off. :)

tinyintexas.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:42 pm 

Jwhite - awesome, thanks for the info! You mentioned you tried on a 0P in store...do they carry it, or was it probably a return?

I've been very open to Talbots lately after seeing that they are trying to follow AT suit with the rebranding and reaching out to younger customers. However I haven't been motivated enough to step inside a store : ) I really love the animal print cardigan. It's hard to do it right, and I was not pleased with my Ann Taylor animal print top as it looked cheap in person. It's still a little pricey for me with the 20% off though, but I will add it to my watchlist. You should post some outfits in the outfits thread! We all loved your summer work outfit.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:26 pm 

I am pretty sure the 0p is carried in stores, I saw a few other items that were in 0p and 2p. I am glad Talbots has revamped their image too, they have some really cute things! It's nice to have some more petite options. I probably won't order anything unless I try it on in-store, because some items are probably a lot more fitted than others even in a 0p.

I agree with you about the animal print trend. Most items that I have seen this fall have looked a little cheap or juniors department-ish. I wasn't that impressed with any of the AT animal print tops in person either. The colors on this cardigan are really rich and it looks awesome in person. I love how camel is used as the primary color instead of white.

Also, I will try to post some outfits in the thread, I have been wanting to enter the Petite Fashion Challenges but I need to figure out how to take non-horrible pics of myself, haha. If they turn out terrible I might need to leave the outfit photos to you ladies :)

tinyintexas.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:09 pm 

I find that their sweaters and tops are pretty much true to size, their cashmere sweaters are top-notch, much better than many brands including Banana Republic. Their bottoms are a little too big/frumpy in my opinion. But my secret is this: Talbots has amazing shoes! They really well-made and super comfy and I think the smallest size is a 5! Hard to find these days.

http://assembledhazardly.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:27 pm 

wow, some of the stuff is really cute. albeit basic, they can easily be pared with bolder pieces or accessories. like jean said, the pricing is a bit steep for me. i'll have to check out the shoes..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:46 am 

Yes, Talbots is becoming a go-to store for me. I've started shopping there in the last year and I must say it's getting better and better. Their ad compaign is quite interesting.....they are working hard to show women that this isn't "mom's store" anymore. I follow the Facebook page and opinions are pretty mixed on the "new" Talbots. Some women are loving the changes and some are furious.

IMO, the real shift is in the perception of how women of a certain age should dress. I know that I don't dress the way my mom dressed at my age.
It used to be that at a certain age clothes got dowdy and far from stylish. Talbots is shifting to dress modern women but the older customers are digging in their heels and protesting. Change is hard I guess.

You must look at the online catalogue, Look Books and videos. Beautiful styling. I find that some of the online store pictures don't do the clothes justice. Many pieces look so much better in person.
http://www.talbots.com/online/pearlsofw ... anding.jsp

It is pricey but the fabrics are so nice. So far, I've had better luck with the tops than bottoms.....I've picked up several cardigans and tops.

I picked up a top in store yesterday and I'm going to place an online order once I can get my wishlist down to a manageable amount. :) I generally wait for bigger sales but there are some items that are currently so popular they are next to impossible to get.....like the sleevelss sequin top. It came in 5 colours and they can't keep it in stock.

For ladies in Canada, shipping is reasonable and you can do returns in store. I actually made money on one top I returned. I bought it at the US sale price and the store refunded me at the Canadian full price. No kidding! I was stunned and couldn't bring myself to question why.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:15 am 

Wow, I checked out the lookbooks and that's definitely quite a change. It's still kind of old-looking... but stuff that a stylish old lady would wear. ;) If they keep it up I look forward to shopping with them in 1-2 decades.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:46 am 

Oh this is an interesting thread! I found it via Elle from FastFoodandFastFashion. I have shopped at Talbots in the past for classic things such as cardigans, purses, and shoes. I was never a fan of their clothing since they are usually drab and they looked the same after every season. I'm glad they are reevaluating their clothing line but I stepped inside a Talbots the other day and it looks like nothing has changed. Does anyone know when this kind of change is going to start with stores? It seems like they have made that transition online. I'm a little wary at the moment since the style has changed but their prices haven't...

5'2, 100 lbs. Bust-31'', Waist-25'', Hip-32''. Shoe size- 5.5-6

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:50 am 

Oh scratch my last sentence. I reevaluated and their prices have dropped but not that much though. jwhite8988 you and I have similar measurements and I'm interested that the 0p fit relatively well on you. Does anyone know if Talbots will be offering 00p as well?

5'2, 100 lbs. Bust-31'', Waist-25'', Hip-32''. Shoe size- 5.5-6