Alterations Needed Forum - Petite Fashion, Style, and Fit

Smartfeed Smartfeed    It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Petite Shopping Guide: Toronto (416/647 Area)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:42 pm 

Holt Renfrew: Shop for higher end labels like Elie Tahari, Theory, Nanette Lepore, etc...no petite department, but the shoes run small. I have seen a reasonable selection of 4 1/2s not only in Stuart Weitzman, but also Tory Burch. I swear this specific Holt Renfrew is the only place where I've actually seen any Tory Burch smaller than a 5. Cole Haan is often available in smaller sizes too. Please note that the Bloor Street store has a much larger selection of petite-friendly clothing than the stores at Yorkdale or Sherway.

Banana Republic: Three stores in Toronto sell petite sizes. Two are located downtown (Bloor Street and The Eaton Centre) and one in the Don Mills/Eglinton area (Shops at Don Mills)

Lululemon: Athletic wear with small sizing. Several locations across the city.

Jacob: No petite sizes, but as noted in the Jacob thread, they are introducing XXS. In major malls.

Ron White Bloor-Yorkville location at the Manulife Centre and the Bayview Village stores both have a decent smaller shoe sizes in 5 and 5 1/2. Known for the "All Day Heel," the shoes tend to be more comfortable than other dress shoes.

Browns Shoes: Several locations across the city. Stores in areas which have a decent sized Asian clientele are more likely to sell smaller sizes (namely Yorkville and Bayview Village stores. These stores also sell more expensive shoes)

Judith & Charles: No petite sizes, but they sell a lot of TeenFlo branded clothing (Judith and Charles are the people who hold the TeenFlo licence in North America). At Bayview Village

Anthropologie: Two stores in Toronto (one in Yorkville and the other at Shops at Don Mills). No petite sizes in stores other than jeans.

There are also plenty of boutiques on Queen Street West and other places, but they may or may not be petite friendly. Stores in Asian malls like Pacific Mall also sell petite-friendly clothing. However, these stores are in the suburbs (aka "The 905") and not in Toronto proper (aka "The 416" (though more and more phone numbers now have a 647 area code))

Height: 5'2"-ish
Weight: Around 95 lb
Measurements: 30B-24-33
Clothing: 00P/0P
Shoes: 5 (sometimes 4.5!)

Shorty Stories

DelectablyChic!

The DelectablyChic! Closet

Post subject: Re: Petite Shopping Guide: Toronto (416/647 Area)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:29 pm 

I was wondering when a Toronto thread would pop up, thanks! I'm technically in the 905, but these tips still help =).

If you're purchasing from Pacific Mall or similar Asian boutiques, be really wary of the quality... I purchased a pair of black skinny pants a couple weeks ago, and the waistband has started to disconnect from the pant, and the back pocket is coming off... This is after 3 washes. :( Salespeople also tend to be extremely pushy. Some shoes in sz 4 are available, but it's pretty rare.

It should be noted that there's a Holt Renfrew outlet in Vaughan Mills - It's in the suburbs and in the 905 area, but the mall is pretty great for shopping overall - They also have a Browns/B2 outlet, Gap outlet, Le Chateau, Laura (Petites) and a Banana Republic outlet (No specified Petite section). I saw Manolo Blahniks for sale at the HR outlet in a size 4.5 last weekend.

Speaking of Banana Republic, I have seen a small number of petite items in store - But these are mixed in with the regular merchandise, so they can be very difficult to find.

Other stores that carry size XXS (besides the upcoming JACOB collection) include Le Chateau, and of course, Aritzia.

There's a good sized Le Chateau outlet at Woodside Square in Scarborough, located on McCowan, just north of Finch. While it is an outlet, there is a wide variety of sizes available for sale, so it's not too difficult to find XS or even XXS in a style you like. I've found, however, that the armholes run really big, even in XXS, but this is a great place for dresses. I've found that Le Chateau shoes tend to run a little small.

JACOB - There is an outlet in the 905 area at Highway 7 between Warden and Woodbine (First Markham Place), but if you were planning on making a trip, I'd advise against it - Small sizes are rare there =(

The discount store Winners has a Petite department, with petite clothing from a variety of brands if you like the hunt. I'd think the similarly-styled Designer Depot would as well, though I don't know for sure. Vaughan Mills has both of these stores.

The Little Bra Company - According to the TLBC site, the following stores in Toronto carry their products:

1. Melmira Bra & Swim Boutique
3319 Yonge Street
Toronto ON M4N2L9
t. 416.485.0576

2. Secrets From Your Sister
560 Bloor St. W
Toronto, ON M5S 1X8
Canada
t. 416.538.1234

3. Secrets From Your Sister
2501 Yonge St.
Toronto, ON
t. 416.482.8007

I recall from the AN blog that a commenter said one of the Secrets From Your Sister locations was no longer carrying TLBC, so I'd call ahead before making a visit.

There's also a store named Mateo in Markville Mall (905 area - McCowan and Highway 7) which sells shoes down to a size 2.5, mostly Italian brands.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:55 pm 

Note that the Holt Renfrew at Vaughan Mills is their Last Call (outlet) store. It's not a full Holts. The advantage of that place is that it's way, way cheaper than Holt Renfrew, but note that it looks more like Winners in there than a department store.

Height: 5'2"-ish
Weight: Around 95 lb
Measurements: 30B-24-33
Clothing: 00P/0P
Shoes: 5 (sometimes 4.5!)

Shorty Stories

DelectablyChic!

The DelectablyChic! Closet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:42 pm 

I find that the clothing at Pacific Mall are rather big on me, actually. Everything is "one size" and it's usually a small to a medium. I still love the clothes there though and I haven't had a problem with the quality so far!

Aritizia (as mentioned above) also sells XXS and 00.

* instagram

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:19 am 

Great thread - thanks Cynthia for starting it! I've been hesitant to start one as I am larger that most of you ladies so I don't have as difficult of time finding clothes as many of you do.

http://www.torontobeautyreviews.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:37 pm 

One more TLBC store located in Toronto:

Beestung Lingerie de Femme
2504 Yonge Street
Toronto, Ontario
t. 416.481.2849

* instagram

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:29 pm 

Has anyone been to this store before? My sister told me about it, but I haven't checked it out yet. Its located in Richmond Hill on Elgin Mills. Their clothes are for women 5'4" and under.

http://www.naturallypetite.ca/about_us.htm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:56 pm 

I've never heard of that store before, but thank you so much for the link! It looks fantastic, though out of my student budget at the moment. I'd make the trip up there if they carried petite lingerie, but it doesn't look like they do.

ETA: There's a lingerie store in Pacific Mall (Kennedy&Steeles) which carries the petite line of Triumph bras.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:36 pm 

Thanks for the reccomendations - I will be in Toronto from Feb 4-9 and hope to do some shopping!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:44 pm 

Lor wrote:
Has anyone been to this store before? My sister told me about it, but I haven't checked it out yet. Its located in Richmond Hill on Elgin Mills. Their clothes are for women 5'4" and under.

Lor wrote:

I forgot about that store! I do remember hearing about them from Petite Fashionista but I believe it's probably out of my budget too. It's a bit out of my way to get to but I think it might be worth checking out.

http://www.torontobeautyreviews.com