Alterations Needed Forum - Petite Fashion, Style, and Fit

Smartfeed Smartfeed    It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Petite Shopping Guide: New York City
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:31 am 

Yes, the "Fashion Capital of the World" has plenty of options for the vertically challenged! Aside from the go-to chains, there are several boutiques I've found where clothing consistently runs small, or that provide free alterations. Will likely add more soon.

Chains

Banana Republic: There are several throughout the city, but the store with the most extensive petites section is on 34th Street near Fifth Avenue, across from the Empire State Building. In fact, I think it was the first one to actually offer petite sizes in the store.

Ann Taylor/Ann Taylor LOFT: The flagship AT at 645 Madison Ave. is definitely the best. There's also a big, flashy LOFT in Times Square (1459 Broadway), but it can get very busy, and they don't necessarily have anything more to offer in terms of selection than the other stores. Head over to the one at 42 Street and Lexington Avenue for a calmer shopping experience.

Nordstrom Rack: At Union Square, 60 East 14th Street. Good selection of size 4-5 shoes. (If you really wanted, you could also head to 1150 2nd Avenue to pay homage to the dearly departed Giordano's, which was dedicated to small-size shoes, as AN noted in this post.)

Boutiques

Baby Blue Line: At 238 Mott Street, in the Nolita neighborhood, which is a great place to browse, anyway. Trendy, but still classic, and cut very small. If you're there on a weekend, check out the Young Designers Market at 268 Mulberry Street, which sometimes has great designers just starting out (and also jewelry and other handmade accessories).

James Coviello: Small boutique at 70 Orchard Street on the Lower East Side, also a great browsing neighborhood near Chinatown. The designer, James (who is often there) doesn't cater to petites, but he has a classic style that is almost universally flattering. The real bonus is that they'll alter anything you buy for no extra cost! Clothing is pricey, but there are decent end-of-season sales.

Huminksa: Boutique in the East Village. Pricey, but dresses are very classic, with great material.

Shoes: 4.5 (sometimes 5)

Post subject: Re: Petite Shopping Guide: New York City
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:42 am 

I also recommend Uniqlo. I think PAG recommended it to me (thanks PAG!).

It's like the Japanese version of the GAP. Very good quality and reasonable pricing. A really great service they have is they will hem the jeans you purchase for free. It does take about a day to get them hemmed if you buy in the afternoon. I heard that if you buy earlier in the day, you can sometimes get them back at the end of the day.

Also Jill Sanders designs her own line their. I bought a pair of J jeans and got them hemmed.

It a great place for casual clothes and exercise gear. And they have tons of leggings.

ETA : I went to the one in SoHo
546 Broadway
(between Spring St & Prince St)
New York, NY 10012
(917) 237-8800

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

Member musketeerlady just mentioned in another thread that there is a secret Theory outlet in the city!

Quote:
For ladies who live or visit NYC: I JUST found out that there's a Theory "outlet" right in the city! It's on 139 5th Ave (between 21st and 22nd street), 2nd floor, unmarked and no sign. Everything is 30% off and is final sale. The SA explained they're actually a company store, catered to corporate employees, so very few people know of the location. I was too lazy to go to outside outlet like Woodbury - wonder if their prices are better than 30% off?

Stats: 4'11" :: 30-23-32 :: size pxxs/p00 :: shoe size US 4.5-5

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:29 pm 

Another good Theory find: Loehman's Upper West Side http://www.yelp.com/biz/loehmanns-new-york-2

They have tons of stuffs in Chateau fabric, including blazers (forgot the name, but it was marked $199 from $385), matching pants in Rosel S and other styles ($130 from $245), matching skirts. There're also some button down shirts, dresses, and winter jackets. Size 00 up. Selection is of course not as current and wide as the Theory company store on 5th ave, but price is about 20% better, and sales can be returned within 14 days.

Petite with small waist and full hip: 5'2'' 113 lbs - 31.5/25/35, 30C
Size: Ann Taylor 0P; Theory 00 (top), 0-2 (bottom); BR 00P

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:25 pm 

Hmmm, there was a HUGE Theory sample sale earlier in December 2010. Wonder if that is where Loehmann's picked up their Theory stash. The dresses were $49-$79 and the suits were amazingly cheap (about $200 for the pants and the jacket). The real deal were the blouses at around $40 each. The place was a madhouse. But I'm really happy to hear about the Theory outlet store. Will definitely visit soon!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:39 am 

Ahhh only if I've tried on a Theory suit few weeks earlier!! Does anyone know when another sample sale like that would come to town?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:32 pm 

And it looks like I got what I asked for - Theory sample sale is coming to NYC!

Where: 93 Mercer St (b/w Spring & Broome Sts).
When: Opens to the public Saturday January 29th to Saturday February 5th. Sat (8-8p), Sun (12-6p), Mon-Fri (8-8p), Sat, 2/5 (11-7p).

Preview: http://samplesally.com/2011/01/27/a-who ... mple-sale/

Will be heading there tomorrow morning!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:39 pm 

In Top Shop - most of them and I believe on the website too they have a section in the store called petite- with all petite sizes!

www.princessred.com

:D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:19 pm 

Princessred.com wrote:
In Top Shop - most of them and I believe on the website too they have a section in the store called petite- with all petite sizes!

http://www.princessred.com

:D

But the petite section at TopShop (at least the New York and London flagships) is HORRIBLE for a store that size. :-( Super-tiny and horrible selection!

Height: 5'2"-ish
Weight: Around 95 lb
Measurements: 30B-24-33
Clothing: 00P/0P
Shoes: 5 (sometimes 4.5!)

Shorty Stories

DelectablyChic!

The DelectablyChic! Closet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:59 pm 

Alterations Needed wrote:
Member musketeerlady just mentioned in another thread that there is a secret Theory outlet in the city!

Quote:
For ladies who live or visit NYC: I JUST found out that there's a Theory "outlet" right in the city! It's on 139 5th Ave (between 21st and 22nd street), 2nd floor, unmarked and no sign. Everything is 30% off and is final sale. The SA explained they're actually a company store, catered to corporate employees, so very few people know of the location. I was too lazy to go to outside outlet like Woodbury - wonder if their prices are better than 30% off?

I just checked it out! I got lost because I was looking ALL over between 21st and 22nd... it turns out it's between 21st and 20th street! I thought it was 149 between 21st and 22nd and walked in... turned out I was WAY wrong (got turned around by security!) I finally found it and it's only 30% off ticket priced items and small selection... i think the woodbury commons theory outlet store had more. Also no petites and the clothing seem very big on me too. Hope this helps!

// 36-27-35
// Sz: 3.5-5