Alterations Needed Forum - Petite Fashion, Style, and Fit

Smartfeed Smartfeed    It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New job one out fit
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:42 pm 

Hi I'm Morgan and i'm pretty small. I'm 29 5'2" and 80lbs. I have never ever found anything that fits me and more often then not don't try but now i have a real job and need big girl clothes. I can't afford $300 for a jacket and a pair of pants and from what i've seen if i want it to fit that's what i'll need to spend. Does anyone know anywhere i can get something cheaper? Please help me!

Post subject: Re: New job one out fit
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:13 pm 

Hi, welcome to the community!

Check out this thread on starting a petite wardrobe on a budget - I inquired about it a couple years ago when I was nineteen and starting out in the workplace.

I'm shorter, but heavier than you - Try H&M for tops and skirts. I've found that H&M things run really small, especially in the waist - I'm full-waisted for my size, and often I have difficulty buttoning up my blazers from there. You're about 14lbs lighter than me though, so I don't think you'll have this problem. Pencil skirts hit about an inch above my knee.

If you're Canadian, I highly urge you to check out Aritzia (they also have a few U.S. locations). My friend is a good half a head shorter than me, and under 80lbs and she gets almost everything there. They are on the pricey side ($60 for a dress shirt, $125 for a blazer, $55 for shorts), but they do run extremely tiny - EVERYTHING they sell goes down to a XXS (Or XXXS I've heard and seen a couple times?) and 00. Their Talula Exster shrunken blazer in 00 has ~13" shoulders and hit at a good length on a smaller frame. It retails for $125, but will occasionally go on sale for slightly cheaper. They also have very beautiful 100% silk items in their T. Babalon and Wilfrid lines, but they're a little outside my price range ($100+). (Note: Their pants have pretty high rises and may not work - They were all MISSes for me, but i'm 4ft11.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:31 pm 

I would also try H&M. They have really cheap clothes and sometimes you can find some small stuff. Also, you could try Express. I have found some stuff there. It's not the cheapest, but there are always coupons to make your purchase somewhere around 50% off.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:14 pm 

I second trying Aritzia and H&M. Plus, even if you're in the US and don't have a store nearby (Aritzia), the stores will ship the item to you. I had it done with a jacket. In my experience Express runs large; even their 00 is usually too big for me, and I weigh about 10 pounds more than you do. LOFT and Ann Taylor also sell items that are as small as XXSP and they have good sales. Definitely wait for one of the 40 or 50% off sales. Their smallest sizes will probably still be too big for you but you can have skirts and pants taken in at the waist for between $15-25. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:16 pm 

Hi Morgon,
Target's Merona line carries petites and they are very classic, tailored and have some suits. Plus, the price is right! They only carry petites on the website, but you can return to the store. Let me know if you have any luck!