Alterations Needed Forum - Petite Fashion, Style, and Fit

Smartfeed Smartfeed    It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 401 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Introduce yourself!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:54 pm 
Site Admin

A very clever member suggested an introduction thread, and what a great idea!

I'll start. :D

I'm a twenty-something living in Los Angeles, who comes from a long line of petite women (and men!). I tower a whole inch over my mother, and she is just a tad shorter than her father, so it's in my genes to be itty bitty. I love shopping and fashion, but found it really difficult to find sophisticated clothing that fit me well because of my size. I started my blog, Alterations Needed, because I knew there were other petite women out there, but I just couldn't find any resources for us on the web. I currently work full time at a biotechnology company, and let me tell you, it is even harder to find a small fitting lab coat than it is to find small fitting clothing. But luckily, that also means I can wear jeans to work everyday. I'm so glad such a great community of fellow petite women have formed on this forum, and look forward to learning and sharing a lot with all of you!

Stats: 4'11" :: 30-23-32 :: size pxxs/p00 :: shoe size US 4.5-5

Post subject: Re: Introduce yourself!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:37 pm 

I'm a Canuckian gal of Chinese descent and one of the shortest in the family. Female relatives in my generation tend to be in the 5'4"-5'7" range - pretty tall for southern Chinese. I'm also about 2-3 inches shorter than my mother.

Like Alterations Needed, I love shopping and clothing, but a lot of things don't fit. I also don't like it when body image advocates dismiss petite people, saying that our issues aren't as "real" as those who're "larger" (as if petite people can't also be "larger"). For a long time, I wrote tons of posts about issues facing short people in my blog, Shorty Stories, but these days, I've cut back - I also run an online lifestyle site, Prospere Magazine, which keeps me really busy!

Height: 5'2"-ish
Weight: Around 95 lb
Measurements: 30B-24-33
Clothing: 00P/0P
Shoes: 5 (sometimes 4.5!)

Shorty Stories

DelectablyChic!

The DelectablyChic! Closet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:44 pm 

Fun!

I'm a 40 something Midwestern gal from a long line of petite women. I have 2 kids and I'm a stay at home mom. I love clothes, shoes, fashion and I am forever shopping for clothes that fit. I don't have access to many of the stores you do and have been stuck shopping the juniors dept. UGH. I'm thrilled to have found this site and all the online tips. I've also come to realize that what I thought was fitting, really doesn't. It looks like alterations are going to be the only way to get a good fit for me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:17 pm 

I'm a 30 something gal from Texas. I'm married with no kids (just our golden retriever who is super spoiled). I work in the chemical industry, my degree is in Chemical Engineering. Currently I work in an office environment, in production planning. But up until 3 years ago, I worked in a chemical plant, so my usual outfit consisted of Gap jeans or Jcrew khakis and a button down or polo shirt, very boring. So when I was ready to move into a new role, I needed a totally new wardrobe (helllooo skirts, dresses, and heels!). In my free time I enjoy running (I ran a marathon in January and I'm running a half marathon in April). Looking at pictures of myself now I realize I need to get smaller jeans now, all the running must be working.
Anyway, I'm glad we have this forum to bounce ideas off of each other.

Bra size: 32B
Shoe size: 5 or 5.5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:07 am 

Hi everyone! I'm in my late 30s. Single (divorced) and definitely have a passion for clothes. I came upon my shortness naturally. My father is 5' 6" and my mother is 5' 1". As I put in my profile, I'm 5'3" (and if I'm any shorter I don't want to know about it.) The reason I say that, is I MIGHT be shorter than 5' 3" (but I don't think so.) I do know one time I was being measured for a physical they told me I was 5' 3" AND A QUARTER (but I don't think so.) (Can a person shrink?)

Anyway, I don't have too much trouble with skirts or dresses. Pants and jeans are a different story. I always have to have several inches chopped off the legs.

Shoes are not much of a problem either. I wear a size 7. (Sometimes a 7 1/2 in boots.) (Has anyone noticed Jessica Simpson's shoes run small? I always need a 7 1/2 in her shoes and BCBGeneration)

That's it and it's great to be here!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:36 am 

Hi y'all! I'm a late-20-something actress / singer / dancer living in South Jersey. I'm the shortest in my family (ALL of my family, except for a cousin that's still under 10 years old) at 5' 1.5". My father is 6' and my mother is 5' 2", though possibly 5' 1.75" now, so who knows why I never grew taller! My husband is only 5' 6.5", so if we have kids some day, they will probably be tiny too!

I'm petite and slim but curvy, with a generous bust and butt, which makes clothes shopping more challenging. Nothing fits correctly off the rack, and while I sew, I'm not confident enough to make most alterations myself, so I end up with a closet full of clothes that don't fit! I love Ann Taylor Petites, though I can't really afford them, and have yet to find a pair of jeans that fit me. If I ever become famous, I hope to raise "petite awareness" among designers, including bra manufacturers, a field seriously lacking in the truly petite world.

Height: 5' 1.5" ~ Bust: 30D ~ Waist: 25" ~ Hips: 35.5"
Tops/Dresses: 00P - 0P ~ Skirts: 0P - 2P ~ Pants: 2P - 4P
Shoe: 5.5/6

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:25 am 

Hi everyone! I am a 25 year old small business owner on the MS Gulf Coast. I'm married with no kids. I pride myself in being taller than my younger sister, she's only 4'11". My Mom was a tiny lady too, at 5'2" and about 85-90lbs. And her mother was only about 5', so that is where I get my petiteness from.

I have found that most "adult" clothing is too large therefore a lot of my clothing is from the dreaded Jr. department. It's difficult to find things there that don't make me look 15 years old. I have found a few AT Loft shirts and dresses that fit, but normally everything is at least a size too big. I'm really glad I found this site. It makes me feel good to know that I'm not alone :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:26 pm 

Hi there,
I'm 33 and just finishing up graduate school, and am 4'11", 93lbs. My mom was the shortest of her 3 sisters, but she towers over me at 5'2". My sister is 5'4" and my brother is 5'9", dad is around 5'8", but my stepdad is only 5'1". Everyone thinks he's my real dad because when I stand with him and my mom we're all short (although he seldom ventures outside without his 3" heel cowboy boots, and he's 73 years old). When I was younger the doctor always assured me I would at least reach 5' tall...liar.

I live in New Hampshire with my fiance and our two cats. I was a distance runner in high school and college, where being petite is not really an issue. Then I took up competitive cycling after college, and if you think finding clothes to fit is hard, imagine trying to find a high end racing bicycle. I used to race with a professional team that was sponsored by a company that specializes in making bikes for petite women (to put that in perspective, imagine if a store existed somewhere that sold pants the fit you perfectly - and you could get as many pairs as you wanted for free...life was good). I think that I am the smallest woman racing bikes at the elite level in the entire US - there are never any pro women in the races shorter than me, and I always have the smallest bike. I started a blog back in 2004 about bike fit issues for petite women, and I still get emails from small women a few times per month looking for advice on bike fit and proper sizing.

I used to be a high school teacher and pretty much wore skirts and shirts and sweaters from Gap and Old Navy because it was a 'uniform' that enabled me to look semi professional. In grad school it was easy to pass as an undergrad wearing grungy clothes every day (I am an Exercise Physiology student, we spend a lot of time in workout clothes) but now that I am about to graduate and pursue a career in the medical field, I feel the need to dress more appropriately, and that includes wearing pants to work.

I am blessed with size 6.5 (narrow) feet - and for that I am very thankful as I never have trouble finding shoes. In fact, my mom, sister and I all wear the same size shoe, despite a 5" differential in height. One more thing - my wingspan (arms outstretched from finger tip to fingertip) is 2" more than my height (wingspan should equal height). This makes carrying a tote bag without dragging it on the ground virtually impossible.

31-25-32
size 6.5 shoe (yep - I've got big feet for a little person)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:29 pm 

Hi Everyone!

I am new to this forum and am so excited about it!!! Thanks so much AN for starting this blog and forum! You have exquisite taste :)

I am a young professional who has a very difficult time finding clothes that fit. It's a constant battle but its nice to know there are so many of us petite girls out there that share the same experiences!!!

I have a business that requires me to wear very professional business attire everyday so it's a good excuse to shop:) I always thought I knew fashion until I started blogging and quickly realized that I had so much to learn!

I have wasted so much money on non-worthy alterations and really want to focus on quality vs. quanity. Blogging really makes you think about what you are wearing and the camera never lies!

5' tall/90 lbs., Shoe size 4.5/5

Last edited by Stylish Petite on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:54 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:39 pm 

Hi everyone! I'm very petite, but the hardest part of finding clothes is that I have an uncommonly narrow body type, which excludes me from average US sizing, and despite what one might assume, makes off-the-rack fashion impossible. I'm a 3rd generation rail thin American, because my family comes from a small-framed indigenous tribe from an obscure region of southern Mexico. Since being petite + rail thin is so uncommon, I have an extremely hard time finding clothes that fit. When the already limited selection of XXSP and 00P is too big, what's a girl to do? Read petite blogs and connect with other women in the same boat!

I have occasional luck with Loft petites, Bebe, Armani Exchange, Banana Republic petites, Marciano, Guess, American Apparel, White House Black Market, Obey, and Fluevog.

Height: 5'4"
Weight: 90 - 95 lb? I don't own a scale. And yes I eat!!! People come in all sizes and mine is one of them.
Clothing: 00P/XXSP... If there was such a thing as 000P/XXXSP, I'd buy a lot more clothes.
Shoes: 7.5 narrow
Bra size: 30B. ...Which mainstream brands don't carry, of course. Poop be upon them! I'm sorry, that was...unladylike.
:mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 401 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 41  Next