Alterations Needed Forum - Petite Fashion, Style, and Fit

Smartfeed Smartfeed    It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to make arm holes larger?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:43 pm 

I purchased a peter pan collar blouse from Urban Outfitters a few months ago, and though the fit wasn't quite perfect it was cute enough that I stuck with it. But after wearing it for a while its primary fit issue is starting to bug me: the arm holes aren't big enough! See picture for how it's cut. I could open up the seam on the tight end of the sleeve, but is there something I (or my tailor) can sew on the interior so it's not flapping open? Do you think any piece of similarly colored fabric will do, or would it be smart to go with some kind of elastic so I get that fitted look on the arm without it pinching like it does now?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: How to make arm holes larger?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:13 pm 

I'm not a professional but I think it's harder to expand arm holes. Talk to your tailor to see if you find matching fabric if he can open up the seam and add that fabric there. As for matching fabric if you can't find the exact of even plain grey? (it's in the armpit so ppl will be less likely to see the lack of polka dots) maybe a cute detail like grey? lace.

Another way, that might be more economical, you could cut a seam and some holes, reinforce and then shoe lace with ribbon or something but that might not match. Oh or another thought. if it's only the band that's too tight you can open the seam (or cut a new spot on the band if you prefer) finish the edge and you should have a V shape opening. Then sew a narrow ribbon or something like that across the opening so it'd make a triangle shape. It could be a cute detail as opposed to the overly busy criss-crossing idea mentioned previously.