Alterations Needed Forum - Petite Fashion, Style, and Fit

Smartfeed Smartfeed    It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Heavy Winter Style - How to be warm, petite and fashionable?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:12 pm 

Hello everyone!

I've been semi-religiously following a lot of petite blogs over the past year to try and actually have style and fit. I've learned a lot and totally get compliments these days. So thank you, thank you.

Thing is...I live in Boston and with the approaching Nor'easter and well, voting today in 30F weather...and the fact that I start shivering if it's under 70F, well I find it hard to be cute/professional/look good and warm. I've done great this past year, but with winter staring me down...I'm not sure how I can keep up this "I can dress well" trend.

Now, I'm not asking for down or winter jacket advice. I have an excellent coat from Zara that is warm, and looks good. It just covers my butt, and has a furry hood. I'm looking for how to dress in the winter, as a petite woman, without looking bulky, but still staying warm.

I'm wondering if the fashion bloggers out there could have a winter challenge or a winter how-to. Especially for temperatures that fall 30 and under. Any rules? Principles? Tips? Best kept petite-in-winter secrets? Winter petite essentials?

Of course, I'd love to wear cashmere every day, but I'm not built with that kind of budget, so please keep that in mind.

As an aside to the above: if there are some colder-climate petite blogs that I'm not following, feel free to suggest them. I know Jean is in Boston, so I'm eagerly awaiting some of her posts as the weather gets colder.

Thanks everyone!

Post subject: Re: Heavy Winter Style - How to be warm, petite and fashiona
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:00 pm 

Is it really possible to stay warm in that type of weather, regardless of what you wear? The only advice I can give, is to get a cute pair of warm boots and some leggings.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:04 pm 

Hey, there is something really great that I found recently, the body heat pad. Strictly buy ones that made in Japan, I wouldn't trust stuff that made in china (no offense).

The body heat pad is about a palm big, it's like a thick sticker, you stick it on the innerest layer of clothes (not on your body). The pad will generate the heat and keep you warm for 24 hours. From memory of research, they are made from charcoal, there are some kind of chemical reaction that happen once you tear off the plastic cover, and the pad meets the air.

You can buy them from japanese Daiso store for only $2.8 for 3 or 4 of them.

Stay warm and pretty girls :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:42 pm 

I live in a cold climate and work in a cold office too, so staying warm is a priority for me. Here are some of my coping tactics.

1) I don't wear skirts or dresses in the winter, other than special occasions.
2) I always wear long underwear on the bottom. Winter Silks carries petite sizes of various weights, although the downside is that silk isn't very durable and is a little pricey. (Sign up for their e-mails to get discount offers.) Lands End also carries petite sizes. Sometimes capri lengths of regular sizes will work, but watch out for the rise! Adding a cami as a first layer on top (that no one will see) can also add warmth without bulk.
3) Knee-high boots under or over pants add warmth. Consider sizing up 1/2 size or try a wide width to accommodate thick socks.
4) Go for multiple, but light layers. Keeping it light will avoid bulk. Adding a belt can give you shape. I wear belts over both cardigans and pullover sweaters provided they are a slim fit. A belt over a bulky sweater looks a bit silly.
5) Add a scarf as an accessory. You'd be surprised how much warmer you'll feel when your neck is warm.
6) Wear blazers or jackets. These don't have to look corporate. Mid-weight cotton or corduroy jackets that work for outdoor wear in spring or fall will keep you warm inside in the winter.

I also keep fingerless gloves at work. Not exactly stylish, but they are good for warming up hands while still letting you type. Space heaters are not allowed, so I keep a blanket and a heating pad in my drawer for days I get chilled.

I hope this helps! Stay warm!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:36 pm 

I don't live in the Northeast per se, but I get cold easily and I understand the struggle of looking professional but warm. Here are my tips on layering well:
- Wear tights, leggings, or long underwear underneath work pants. I often reach for sweater tights from Hue, black leggings from UnderArmour and American Apparel, and long underwear from UniQlo's HeatTech line. (I used to be a runner, so that's why I swear by UA leggings).
- If you want to continue wearing skirts and dresses, I suggest tights and long socks/leg warmers with knee-high boots.
- If you've got a great pair of boots, get warm long socks. My favorite socks that have lasted years are SmartWool.
- For tops, I like to do something of this variation: camisole, thin long-sleeve or quarter-sleeve shirt (from UniQlo's HeatTech line), and then wear my usual work outfit (IE: top, cardigan/blouse, sweater).
- Wearing a vest underneath my jacket helps too...and you might not have to wear as many bulky layers. Every season, J.Crew has a down or shearling-line vest.
- Accessories! A good, thick scarf and gloves are necessary. Hats would keep you warmest, but I don't like ruining my hair, so earmuffs are another ideal alternative.

If there's anything that I missed, I'm quite certain UniQlo's HeatTech line has something. Every season, they sell pretty affordable winter undergarments. If you're not in the NYC metropolitan, UniQlo has recently set up an online shop, so check it out!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:45 pm 

You could also wear tights under your pants as an extra layer for the cold weather!

Post subject: Moncler jacket? Burberry coats?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:20 pm 

I found size 00/0 moncler down jackets in Woodbury outlet store, which are super rare in local stores (saks, NM or blooie...)

Here is the one which I think look good on petite girls (most of others are awful on me :( )~~ http://www.fabbylife.com/2012/11/all-about-burgundy-moncler-pensee.html

Burberry coats start to run small these years, 36/sz 2 fits good.... http://www.fabbylife.com/2012/11/burberry-double-breasted-wool-coat.html

good luck

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:41 am 

You can still be fashionable while being warm and cosy and looking professional.

You just do have to get the right thing: this is not the time to spare your money on quality.

I live in France up North and normally (curse the pollution we humans are creating) winters can be pretty cold and windy.
During the colder months I still wear skirts and dresses with wool tights (some are really very luxury and of good quality) or else I layer several thin tights; if you can get silk stocking (the one you wear when you are on motorbike or skiing) the better.
Invest in a really good quality coat in thick wool (I know not easy to find nowadays) under which you can easyly layer sweater AND jacket.
I always wear jacket at the office anyway along with sweaters, mostly cashmere or cashmere blend which you can keep years and years.
Wear socks in your boots, cotton or wool or silk socks.
You can even wear under silm silk gloves under your leather gloves (think to size up then).
And have fun with accessories: scarf, shawl, gloves, hats, berets...
I know most american women prefer to go bare legs, which is (soory) a total nonsense for us in Europe during the cold months.
Besides there are so many colors and patterns you can choose for your tights that it is such fun to wear them!!
I am cold if I don't have long sleeves, even 3/4 are not enough for me so I always try to be careful when I buy sweaters or shirts.

New blog: http://epiceetetoffe.blogspot.fr/