Alterations Needed Forum - Petite Fashion, Style, and Fit

Smartfeed Smartfeed    It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ann Taylor LOFT and Gap dark wash jeans--opinions?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:56 pm 

I'm looking for the perfect curvy fit jeans out there, and I would appreciate opinions on LOFT and Gap jeans since they are in my price/quality range, though any other suggestions are welcome. Here's what I have dug up about them and maybe someone can answer my concerns:

LOFT--I bought a pair of the dark wash bootcut jeans today, though I am keeping them in the brand new state for now since I am not 100% sure on them. Very comfy, fits perfectly through hips and thighs, though there's a slight waist gap.

I saw a post somewhere on Extra Petite's blog about LOFT jeans stretching out after a wash--has this happened to you? Should I size down? I have athletic thighs so I'm not looking for a skin-tight fit, but I don't want baggy jeans either.

I'm also concerned about the dark wash. I dug this up and the third post has me very worried: http://www.rateitall.com/i-12352-ann-taylor.aspx. Basically, the lady's Ann Taylor jeans dye rubbed off everywhere and ruined quite a few things. I know it's Ann Taylor, not LOFT, but I'm guessing they could be using the same dye recipes. I'm going to sit around the house with the jeans on to test this, but I would like any input on how the dye for dark wash LOFT jeans behaves.

GAP--I'm looking into their curvy jeans in the saturated dark wash: http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=49327&vid=3&pid=673948. I have yet to try them on, but from reading the reviews, it seems like the fabric quality has declined for the jeans. Several reviewers said they're getting holes after just a few months! Has anyone else had experience with this?

Inseam: 28''
Shoe Size:6

*formerly Miss Chisai for a few posts*

Post subject: Re: Ann Taylor LOFT and Gap dark wash jeans--opinions?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:43 pm 

Jessie of The Little Dust Princess did a great denim review regarding which size is right:

http://www.thelittledustprincess.com/2011/01/denim-review-part-i.html

As for the LOFT dark wash....I only own one pair of LOFT dark jeans...they are the jeggings from this season. The dye from my jeggings did come off on a white Banana Republic shopping bag! I have sat in the car with light colored leather purses next to me (forgetting...and only for five or ten minutes, nothing major), but no dye has rubbed off. I get paranoid when I discover what I did! Lol! As for furniture...I am of no help...I do not wear them around the house.

In my experience, I love LOFT's jeans! I cannot compare to GAP, however, since I have not made any recent jean purchases from there.

5'3 / ~100 / 31-25-31

http://thepetitefittingroom.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:58 pm 

Thanks for the reply! Did you have to size down for your LOFT jeans/jeggings?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:22 pm 

I actually ordered a op (25), rather than my usual oop(24)! Perhaps because they were jeggings. For there regular jeans, though, I wear the 24p.

5'3 / ~100 / 31-25-31

http://thepetitefittingroom.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:10 pm 

Cat_in_Calico wrote:
Several reviewers said they're getting holes after just a few months! Has anyone else had experience with this?

Apologies for the late reply, but I bought some Gap jeans (the 1969 Real Straight fit) in the post-Christmas sales, and they've just developed a hole in the knee. In fairness I've been wearing them a *lot*, but I was dismayed to see a hole after less than three months, on jeans that were nearly £50 at full retail! This is the second time I've bought Gap jeans that wore through much faster than they should have; the first time was in 2007 or 2008 and I assumed it was a one-off, but maybe not.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:49 pm 

Oh, not too late at all, and thanks for the reply! I'm still looking for the right jeans and I happened to finally have time to try on some Gap jeans today. I liked them, but your experience really helps. I don't wear jeans much, but I agree that for the price, those jeans should have lasted much longer.

For anyone that might be curious--I wore my LOFT outlet jeans for a whole day and they became seriously baggy in the hips and waist area in the end. I've never ever had jeans too big for me there before! I've already washed them so I can't return them -_-. They're labeled as a size 2P, but they can fit a 4P now, maybe even a 6P. I really like the fabric though, so if I can't sell them I'll attempt my own alterations. I'm going to make a trip back to the outlet sometime soon to see how far I can size down before I decide what to do with my jeans.

This is different from regular LOFT jeans, as I tried those on and the fabric is stiffer. I don't think those will stretch out that much.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:56 am 

Did you get the LOFT denim on sale? If yes, I would easily vote for a keep. With washings, I don't think bleeding will be much of a problem, but just be wary of what you wear it with. Also, waist gaps are inexpensive tailoring jobs.

I'm not a fan of gap denim because I too dislike the quality of the denim. I do like their jeggings however.

I would recommend Joe's Jeans (perhaps the Petite Provocateur or Petite Honey). My Joe's Jeans have lasted for years, but my Hudsons already ripped. :S

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:34 pm 

fyi...Joe's on sale at HauteLook.

here's a referral link:
I find amazing deals every day on HauteLook. Check it out! http://www.hautelook.com/short/efKO

[s]I'll be picking up two pairs (fingers crossed) since my orders of Paiges and 7s did not go well.[/s]
Nm, refunds issued as credit only. I hate that!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:51 pm 

I did indeed get the LOFT denim on sale. The dye so far hasn't caused any issues, fortunately.

Thank you for the recommendation! I'm going to have to stick with jeans I've tried in store, however, since I've always had difficulty finding jeans that remotely fit me correctly. Also, my budget is around $50 since I wear jeans once a weekend at most.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:21 pm 

I realize this post is super old, but I need to ask: did the LOFT jeans (not referring to the aforementioned outlet jeans) stretch much as you wore them? A 00P is tight on me but a 0P is too big....I'm wondering if the 00P would stretch as I wear them...they give me a small muffin top (even though I'm pretty thin!) but fit great elsewhere....I am small all over, but for my size my waist is slightly thick (not fat, just not curvy).